I think I'd have to answer the "Ready or not question" as NOT READY!!! But at the same time, so excited for their adventures and so thankful for the example they are to us. Even when it's a really great cause, it's just hard to say goodbye to people you love.
Back in August, my parents received their second mission call. This time to....(drum roll please)....the Philippines Angeles Mission. ANOTHER island! Dad said, "Well, I guess we're going back to fish and rice." I've learned quite a few things about my dad with these mission experiences - he doesn't like change very well. Last time he had such a hard time leaving home. Then when he finally got comfortable on the island, he didn't want to leave the islands. Now if he could go anywhere in the world on this mission - it would be back to the same island he was on the first time.
But with this new mission, I'm sure that once he gets established, he will love it just as much as the first one. Mom however, once her mind is made up that this is what they are to do - then there's no looking back for her. She just pushes on with a steady force. So they are a good match for each other.
I am so proud of them. This decision has come harder for them then their first mission. They had already served once, and know that if they ended there that they have accomplished many wonderful things. However, the spirit just kept nudging them to serve again. This time around they knew what they were getting themselves into with leaving family and having home sickness- and it made it that much more difficult to leave. And it made it that much more difficult for me to have them leave. I don't like when they are gone. I'm kinda a mommy and daddys girl. Yet after their first mission was over, and they were back home with us - I was so grateful for their experiences and the testimonies they came home with to share with us. I can't imagine them having that opportunity to go serve again, and we not be supportive of it just because we think we can't handle them being gone.
So mom and dad - I hope and pray you have another wonderful 18 months. I think the more you love someone, the harder it is to say goodbye. So I suppose in that light, it's a good thing that it's so hard to say goodbye. It is hard to see you go, but 1000 times 1000 worth it eternally to have you serve the Lord and share the gospel.
Thank you...thank you...thank you!
Love you both so much, and God be with you till we meet again!
I went to their house to pick them up to take them to the airport. This is what I found - dad out in the yard, in his work clothes, with the tractor just a few minutes before it's time to go. That's my daddy!
I refused to take goodbye pictures this time. Last times goodbye pictures STILL make me cry! So I took a picture of dad and Shawn giving knuckles before they hugged. When the hugs started, I walk away. I just can't witness all that again. It's just too hard.
18 months of stuff packed into a few suitcases.
Stopped at my sister Robins house in Kaysville, for her husband to drive them to the Airport. They were all a bit concerned for my safety trying to drive home from the airport after saying goodbye. I think that was a wise decision.
No comments:
Post a Comment