Thursday, June 4, 2009

Boo Hoo...



You know how at every holiday, every blog you read is titled after that holiday, and the events that surrounded that holiday for their family? For example, I think about every blog I read last week was titled, "Memorial Day" (mine included). My title of this blog doesn't surround any holiday, BUT I'll bet I'm only one of a bunch of Smithfield blogs who will have similar postings. So let the crying holiday begin. This holiday started Tuesday night with thunder storm warnings, and hail warnings. Pretty soon, the dark clouds rolled toward our Cache Valley, the wind started howling, and sure enough, the sound of thunder rumbling. Then came the lightning, rain, and the huge hail stones. It was actually quite the exciting storm, until...my friend called to see if our basement had flooded like so many others in our neighborhood had. Sure enough, we have wet walls and carpet. Hence the title of my blog BOO HOO! So since it was very late when the problem was discovered, I figured I'd go to bed - nothing I can do about it that late. Of course the next day, Ira had to go to work, so I was on my own to pull up carpet and padding. I wish I could say it was a fun day, but "eventful" would be a better choice of words. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself, until I heard that some homes had 8 feet of water in their basements. And a guy in our Stake, had his whole window well filled with water, and he walked up to it, and the glass broke under the pressure and shattered on him and he got hurt pretty bad - on top of having a flooded basement! I guess replacing carpet in one room isn't so bad after all!

I forgot to mention that I woke up to a little boy who peed the bed (had to wash sheets and blankets), and another little boy who had a blow-out up to his ears (had to wash clothes, and give baths)! Oh ya, and I had bought a case of strawberries to make jam, and had put it off to do until Wednesday - and the berries couldn't wait another day - so I had to make jam too. Then I looked at my flowers and vegetable garden. Anything that wasn't under cover is shredded to pieces from the hail. I was fortunate enough to still have most of mine covered under the "walls of water", but I'm so sad for my neighbors who lost those too.

What can I say? Except that so far, today is a GREAT day! I guess it takes a bad day to appreciate a good one.

6 comments:

Maria said...

Wow! I'll bet you were exhausted at the end of that day!

Mark and Adrian said...

Holy cow. I'm so sorry!! You must be so tired. You are a wonder woman to get all that done. Hope everything is ok now.

Amber Bradley said...

I decided that I am just lucky because I had all of my niece's stuff getting stored in my basement and she is on a mission...I need to write her a letter and tell her thanks and then put out another letter to the rest of them saying my basement can be the store place when any of them go...lol... jk anyway seeing your picture made me feel a tad bit more blessed but I am sorry it happened to you! I hear you on the garden... that happened to mine too...grrrr.... I hope you are enjoying the first day out of school for the kids!

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Ewww, bummer. We've never had our basement flood (yet). I kept thinking I needed to call you on Thursday. I guess now I know why. I could'a (should'a) come to help out. Maybe then, Zac wouldn't have been out in the back yard playing soccer to break his arm.

tysonandmandimoser said...

This reminds me a post you posted a while ago. Are you bragging that you have a house that can be flooded? and strawberries to turn into jam? and that your husband has a job??? JK that is the pits, it is true that when it rains it pours and everything happens at once.

Andrea Brooks said...

That sounds like quite a storm. Good luck getting things put back together!