Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Reminder to Hold Our Children Close...

My last post was about Brayden going away to Scout Camp, where I couldn't be there to protect him. This post is about Jarin, who is home with me for me to be protecting, and I didn't do my job (unknown to me at the time). The story:

Jarin and Emilie had two of their little friends over for the day, and when their mom came to pick them up, she and I stood in the driveway and visited for a little bit. At that time, the neighbor kids were outside, her kids, and my kids, and they were all playing, and going in and out of the house and cars. When she was leaving, we couldn't find Jarin and her little girl. She went to the park (2 blocks away) to see if that's where they went. Pretty soon she gets a phone call from her husband asking if we were missing two children. They had walked, bare-footed, to their house. Here's the problem...they live across the 4-lane highway! A family in our ward saw them on the other side of the highway, and stopped and picked them up and brought them the rest of the way. So our 3 and 4 year old had crossed that highway all by themselves!!! At first I was shocked, thinking that Jarin would never do that. He doesn't even cross the street in front of our house! Then I became mad, which left me very quickly. Then I felt panic, sickened, and gratitude mixed all together. They crossed the Highway at one of the busiest times of day, and the traffic can be really bad right then. I KNOW in my heart that there was divine intervention on behalf of these two little friends. I don't doubt for a minute that some un-seen angel held their hands and walked them across that highway. It is like a 1 in a million chance that two little children who don't really understand the full concept of looking both ways yet, and not crossing until there's no cars, could make it across without being hit.

When I saw Jarin, he looks at me and says, "Mom, am I in trouble?" I said, "Yes Jarin". And he cried and cried. We had a little talk where we both cried, and I hope he understood the message. Then I just hugged him and held him, and of course thanked Heavenly Father for their safety. I hug him every chance I get since then. I just watch his every move, and am so grateful everytime I hear him laugh, or cry, that I get the opportunity to still hear that laugh and cry.


And I was only worried about Brayden at camp! Silly me!

6 comments:

Maria said...

Oh how scary! Glad he is okay.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Ummmm, that made me sick to my stomach. I would expect that one from Em, not Jarin! (Poor Emi, has such a reputation!!!)

Give him an extra hug from his aunt kelli (and give Em one too).

Ann said...

How scary! I'm so glad they were watched over and protected!

Anderson Avenue said...

WOW! That makes me a little sick! I am so glad that they are both ok!!

Smullin Family said...

Thank goodness for guardian angels!

My little 2 yr old neice did a similar thing this weekend. We were having a family yard sale, so there were lots of people and lots of kids running around. Last we knew, all of our kids were inside. We had a neighbor, from down the street, come to us and ask if we were missing a little girl. No..not that we knew of. I had him describe the little girl. Hmmm, the description sounded familiar. I walked down the street and discovered that yes, it was one of ours. She had walked down the street, around the corner (busy street) and to the neighboring school. Way too far away for a 2 yr old to be!
Another nice woman had stopped and taken her to the school daycare and asked if she was supposed to be there. No. So then she ran into the neighbor down the street and together figured out that she may belong to us.
Whew. My neice wasn't scared, didn't see anything wrong, and just went on with her day. Her mom... not so much. She was grateful she had returned safely, but shaken for the remainder of the day. The thoughts of what could have happened haunted her.

I'm so glad to hear Jarin (and friend) are safe and sound. That's such a scary thing.

Nicky said...

I have been feeling like such a bad mom after that experience. Thank you Alisha for sharing that experience. I'm glad to hear that it just happens sometimes - not that it's a good thing to have this happen to anyone - but I'm glad I'm not alone!