Monday, June 22, 2009

My Baby...

I sent my baby away today for a whole week. Not the baby your probably thinking, but my oldest "baby". I sent him away to scout camp for the first time for an ENTIRE WEEK! And I thought sending him to Kindergarten was hard. When I was checking and double checking if he had everything he needed, he said, "Now Mom, you don't need to check through my bags like you always do. Just let me do it." I'm thinking, "Oh, he doesn't want my help anymore," and on the inside, a small seed of panic is planted. "What if he forgets his jacket and he freezes? What if he forgets his deoderant and stinks? What if he not only forgets, but doesn't even care to bring his toothbrush? What if he gets hurt or sick? What if...what if...what if?!" Then the thought occurs to me that even though he will be gone a whole week, and I can't be there to make sure he's OK, his dad will! There are bonuses to Ira's calling in the church. He gets to attend every youth event, even if it's just for a day or two. SO...Ira will be going up on Tuesday, then again on Friday and Saturday. And being the worried mom that I am, I am going to send him with an extra jacket and blanket...just in case. :) But this is our secret, right? He can't know that he will always be my baby, and he definently can't know that I'm glad that Ira can "check" on him for me. That would just NOT be cool to a 12 year old!

3 comments:

Mark and Adrian said...

Dylan just got back. I thought the same kinds of things. But he had a great great time. It was fun to see his face when he got back and listen to all the stories he had to tell us. He also gets to go with our new ward in Montana so I'm so excited for him. Our babies are growing up and you know what that means for us don't you? We are getting old too :)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Last year, I was so very worried that Skyler would eat too much junk and throw up in the tent. I mean, it's not like he's never done it before, right? And, I was worried that nobody would be there to remind him to wash his hands before he eats. But I soon forgot about it when he was gone, and the house was oh so peaceful for an entire week!

Smullin Family said...

I'm right there with you.
Rylee went to girl's camp, for the first time, a few weeks ago. I was out-of-town when she left and came back. I felt that anxiety of not being there and not knowing exactly what was going on. (I have to admit I DID help her pack before we left...a little.) I prayed she would have a good time and return safely. My prayers were answered.
I'm finding this is such a weird, scary, but FUN stage in life. It's fun to see them grow up and become their own person, but it's scary to let them go "out into the world".