Sunday, May 31, 2009

Where in the World????

My parents received their much anticipated mission call this Saturday, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. And imagine, if you will, what it was like for them to have received that envelope in the mailbox at approximately 10:00 A.M., and leave it sitting there for 8 HOURS, just staring at them, and begging them to open it. Why would they do such a silly thing?...because their very lives depended on it! Their eight children, and many of their grandchildren threatened them that they better not open it until we could all be present to witness it (4 of them were on speaker phone, 4 of us were standing with cameras and video cameras running). It was much better than Christmas morning!
Before the envelope was opened, we all guessed where in the world we thought they would be serving the Lord for 18 months. Guess who hit the nail on the head??? That would be yours truley! I said that they would be serving in the...(wait, I've skipped some parts of the story - I can't tell you yet where their going).
So back to the events. After everyone was ready, and the phones were all connected, they tore open the envelope (not carefully like they do Christmas paper). While my mom pulled out the papers, my dad sat with his hands over his face - not believing the step they are about to take. When they pulled out the paper and started to read, they both got looks of shock as they read the words from our Prophet of God, for them to serve in the Marshall Islands. I think most of us, in unison, said: "Where?" "Where is that?" (of course, I knew...because as I mentioned before...I had guessed it.) They will be living in and serving the people of the South Pacific Islands - where it's hot and humid. Where (according to the internet), there is LITTLE internet access, FEW phones, and even FEWER cell phones. For a family who call our parents at least once a week (some of us about once a day), this will be a HUGE adjustment. But I guess we've had them our whole lives, and we need to share them with the people of the Marshall Islands. Whom, I am sure, will love them as much as we do.
My parents, especially my dad, has waited for this day their whole adult lives. However, change is never easy when it comes right down to it. I saw lots of emotions in their expressions yesterday - a little bit of excitement, a lot of nervousness, TONS of questions, and even a little sadness for what they will be leaving behind. I will miss them so much, but I am SO EXCITED for them to get to have this new adventure together. They will be doing more service for their family back home, by serving the Lord, then they could ever do for us by sticking around home. I would love for them to stay home with us, BUT...the Lord will pour out His blessings to them, the people they serve, and to their family while they are away. I know this is true!
My only fear is that they will love it there, and the people there SO MUCH that they WON'T come home when their 18 months is done!
Their expression as they read the words: Marshall Islands They each have two phones up to their ears, talking to my siblings who couldn't be there.
It's just that 18 months never seemed so long! Ira and I always said that wherever they go, it better be a cool place to visit. So somehow, we are still determined to visit - it just could be a little trickier than if they went somewhere state-side. BUT Marshall Islands...here we come (maybe)! Any volunteers for babysitters???? haha

11 comments:

Mark and Adrian said...

I'll keep your kids. How exciting for them. That is so great for your family. They will be able to bless those peoplein so many ways. Your parents are so amazing. And you know I am only a few hours a way now so you can come visit me when you want a friend.

Maria said...

You really guessed Marshall Islands by name?? Did you peek? Just kidding.
Thanks for the post. That was fun to read. When McKay saw the picture of papa with his hands over his eyes he said 'BOO!'

Maria said...

POST THE VIDEO...! Those of us who live so far away would sure love to see it. We also thought (briefly) about taking a trip to see them over Thanksgiving or something; that is,until I looked up the price. One round trip ticket is over $2000. You must stop in Hawaii first and there are only two days a week that you can fly in and out of the islands from Hawaii (which is a 6 hour flight).

I hope you can swing it, but for us that is way to much $$$$$, and way to many days off work by the time you take the trip there and back.

Good luck! And thanks for the play by play. We sure wish we could have been there.

-Jordan

tysonandmandimoser said...

What a fun and memorable day for all of us kids and the grandkids. I can't believe that it is really happening. I am worried for those of us who rely on them so much, but can't wait for those blessings. They will be wonderful missionaries. I am excited for them, what an awesome opportunity.

tysonandmandimoser said...

They were like a couple of kids on Christmas, only way worse!

Amber Bradley said...

How exciting! That is awesome that you guessed it! I sure hope you get a chance to go and you do have a volunteer for a babysitter! My boys would love it!!! Congrats to your mom and dad!

Mark and Adrian said...

Have I happened to mention in the last few years that your parents are the greatest people I have ever met. I am sure glad I was able to grow up with them in my life. Give them big hugs from me and tell them congratulations!!!

Nicky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicky said...

Let me clarify - I didn't say "Marshall Islands", but I did say the Pacific Islands - close enough, right?
Plane tickets $2000??? Ouch! A week on the islands with mom and dad...priceless! I guess we do need to be realistic too - that's a lot of moolah!!! One can hope tho, right? Heck, if we don't have to pay any doctor bills this year (knock on wood), like we did last year - we could take the entire family on what we would be saving!!! :)

Smullin Family said...

I've never met your parents, but they sound like wonderful people. (I know how wonderful their daughter is.) Tell them congratulations from us too.

It was so fun to watch the video and get the play-by-play of their mission call. What a fun memory. They were very good sports waiting for everyone to gather. I don't know if I could do it..I'm just too curious.

I hope you do get to visit them. How fun would that be??? Way fun!

Andrea Brooks said...

I don't know your parents, but your entry gave me chills. That is so awesome. We have two neighbor kids that were adopted from the Marshall Islands. What a great opportunity!