Thursday, December 23, 2010

Priesthood Blessings and Miracles

I want to share this story before I forget it. It isn't an experience of mine, but it is one that I don't want to forget - so what better place to record it than on my blog.



This is where the part of me that's terrible with names shines through. But take a good look at this sweeet little girl that her parents are holding. Her dad is the branch president on Fanning island, and was on Christmas Island during the time we were there. He shared an experience he had with this little girl. He said that they were visiting someone, and this little girl stopped breathing. I think she had gotten sick. Anyways, he went to pick her up, and she was still. He tried everything. They dunked her under the water to try to waken her, with no response. They tried it again, and still no response. They rode a little motorcycle/moped across a really bumpy road to a nurse (about 20 minutes away). She tried everything, still with no response. She was pronounced dead. Her dad and the friend who was with him, knew they needed to give her a priesthood blessing. They didn't have white shirts or ties on (most of us wouldn't really think about that - but he did. He felt he wasn't being respectful of the priesthood power which he holds without his white shirt). So they went back to get his white shirt on, and came back to his daughter and they gave her a blessing. As they were leaving, the little girl started twitching. The nurse said that was a normal part of someone who has died. That father wouldn't take that for his answer. Before too long, his little daughter started breathing again. And a spunky little girl she is too!!! Her personality reminds me of a certain little 10 year old that lives in my house ;).



The nurses father is a pastor to another church on the island, and her brother was present to witness all of this. When he saw what happened through the power of the priesthood, he was baptised a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.



Anyways, a couple things really stood out to me about his experience. First of course, was the miracle that took place with her life being preserved. Second was the faith it took for that father to show so much respect for the priesthood power, that he left his dead daughter to make himself presentable of such a calling. I hope to aspire to such faith as this father showed.

I have had many times where priesthood blessings have had such power in my life. Maybe not to the extent where my life was preserved - but miracles all the same. One occurred while on this trip to see mom and dad. I get these pains in my stomach from time to time, (gallbladder problems from when I had it out, or ulcers - I don't know. But VERY painful). Anyways, the night before we left to come back home, I had one of those moments. My other 4 episodes I've had of this pain have been so intense, and the only relief I have found from it was to receive a priesthood blessing. This time was no exception. When dad and Ira gave me a blessing, the pain finally started to subside. By the time I had to go to the airport, the pain was gone. I knew the hospital there wasn't an option, so I was so grateful to know that the best care possible was right beside me. Maybe my story isn't as climatic as the one of the little girl coming back to life - but the priesthood power was given to us to help us through many of lifes trials. And I for one, have no doubt in it's power.

3 comments:

Ari Anna Johnson said...

I just spent the last hour on your blog catching up on all of you wonderful happening! It was so great to see all about your trip~! What a fun time!

Becky said...

That was a good read! I LOVE the simplicity of those people - I thing a farmer could TOTALLY love that mission (Orlando is strange to my dad) What neat stories and experiences and I am SO glad you got to go and spend that time with them! You had me in tears - LOVE IT ALL! Thanks for sharing - even if most of it is for you...I learned a lot!

Amber Bradley said...

I have loved looking through all your posts about your trip. I am so glad you went and that you will have those special memories with your parents forever.