Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thanksgiving on Christmas Island (Part V)

We were able to bring a turkey with us from Hawaii to Christmas Island. We got it from the grocery store early the morning we were flying out, so that it would be frozen solid. We packed a couple steaks and roasts and of course...an eggnog around the frozen turkey. I think the turkey was a real treat to the missionaries we brought it to (except the sisters who are from the islands - I don't think they thought too much of our Thanksgiving dinner :) ). But mom's homemade rolls were a real treat to us. YuuuuuuMMMMmmmmyyyyyy!!!

This is Ira carving the Turkey in Elder and Sister Mosers kitchen.Ready for the big feast. We had our dinner in the church cultural hall.

After dinner, the Elders had us all sit in a circle with 5 coconuts each. They had spent quite a bit of time that day breaking open the coconut shells so we could have these. We went around the circle and shared with each other five things we were thankful for, and then put our coconut in a basket.

(I know the Sisters names, but I don't know how they are spelled. So I will write them the way they are pronounced, knowing the spellings are completely WRONG!).
Sister Kamouse, Sister Rotess, Elder Anderl, Elder Alberts



Our basket of blessings.



While we were sharing our things we were thankful for, this guest came into the cultural hall. What a surprise for Ira and I, who aren't quite used to life on the islands yet. A crab walking into the church??? So Elder Alberts caught him with his foot. He (the crab), is lucky we had already had dinner!







No comments: