Sunday, November 22, 2009

5K...again

So I did it again. Let me take you on a walk (or run) down memory lane:

Back in August, I think it was, I ran my first ever 5K. It was pure torture! I hated every minute of it, and I felt extremely out of place with the world of runners.
Now fast forward to this weekend. Smithfield held it's annual "Turkey Trot" 5K or 10K. I had thought I would do it, but when it came right down to it, I scheduled something else instead (shopping, who can go wrong with that?)- DaRn, right?! Well, my shopping plans fell through on Friday afternoon. Now what was I to do? I knew there was a big storm coming in during the night, so I told myself that if it wasn't snowing in the morning, then I would go run. Guess what? As luck would have it - it wasn't snowing. (The first time all season I've actually WANTED to see snow!). So with Ira's pushing me out the door, I went.

I was so stinkin' nervous! I'm not even sure why, who really cared? Who really cared that I looked like a dork in my long white and short black layered pants? Who really cared if I came in dead last? (I didn't, but almost! - and if I had - SO WHAT?!). Who really cared if I walked once in awhile? So why was I so nervous????? I dunno, but I was shaking when I was trying to fill out my registration form. But I had to do it. I had to give it another try after having such a miserable experience the first time around. I just had to see what all this "fun" was about. And guess what? It was still hard. I'm still slow as mud. BUT, I could almost call it fun. So I guess I better try it again, until I can really call it fun. Cuz this time came pretty close to the title.


I met up with my hiking friends after the race. Of course they were at the finish line, along with Ira, cheering me on since they finished WAY before me! Oh well...at least I finished, right? (at least that's what I keep trying to tell myself).

Ann and I sporting our new shirts. After all, we only do these crazy things for the shirt and the picture, right?


Now that it's over, I'm really excited to try it again.
Uh-Oh, does this mean that running is getting in my blood?
I hope not, cuz I think a 10K actually would kill me! Then when I'm done with that (assuming I actually survived it), what's next... a half marathon?...I DON'T THINK SO! Then, heaven forbid, a full Marathon?
Um...how 'bout I just keep trying to survive my 5K's?



8 comments:

Mark and Adrian said...

YAY!!! I'm so proud of you. I think I am going to run one in the spring. I am like you I hate running but Mark wants to run a 1/2marathon and my friend wants me to run a 5 k with her. I've never done it before so we will see. Thanks for the inspiration. If you can do it I can do it :)

Drapers said...

Way to Go!!

Becky said...

Gonna get ya...and I can't wait:)

tysonandmandimoser said...

I am so proud of you. Ya, you got the bug and it is fun huh??? I think that is so awesome and there is nothing wrong with just sticking to 5K's. I think you totally rule!!!!!!!! You make me smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moose on the Porch Quilts said...

Way to go Nic! I'm glad you had more fun this time. You look great btw! Oh--the next thing you should try one day is a short triathlon. I did my first one last spring. It was exhilarating, and I hate to swim.

Maria said...

I'm glad to hear you did it again. Way to go! Now if you really want to experience fun, you need to get yourself out here for a trail run. I think you would have to do an 8K though, that is the shortest distance they have. - Jordan

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. But way to go! Maybe some day I'll join yu. Yuck.

Calie said...

Wow Nicky I am so excited for you. How long did this take you? You are an inspiration to me. I am just starting to pick up running (jogging) and I am not sure if its for me. We shall see. Way to go!