Friday, May 29, 2009

Bitter Sweet


My Uncle Dennis Moser passed away this last week from Thyroid cancer. It was a bitter-sweet thing to say goodbye. Cancer is such an ugly disease, and causes so much pain. In that sense, death is a welcome friend. To watch his wife, and kids, grandkids, and his brothers (my dad), experience so much sadness is where the bitter comes in. My dad had such a wonderful relationship with his brother, and I'm sure they parted with no regrets. Their last time together had words of affection expressed. My dad is becoming a professional funeral speaker. I think that is a wonderful tribute to him of how much he loves and is loved by all of us. Dennis left this life, surrounded by his family, knowing that he was loved, and knowing he had fought a good fight, and could finally rest in the presence of his Father in Heaven. What more could anyone ask for than to have that knowledge?!

If you've never had the experience of being present for a military funeral - it is really a wonderful thing. It brings a lot of feelings of pride for our country, and for those who have and currently are serving to protect our freedoms.

Side note: This is the craziest thing ever, so I'll share it with you. Uncle Dennis' Thyroid cancer was caught about a year ago, and it had progressed too far at that point. However, his kids (four of them), one by one decided to get tested as well. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS THE SAME CANCER! And his wife also has it. They have been through surgeries and treatments, hopefully with full positive results since theirs was caught earlier. But wait...theres more. Now two of his grandchildren have also been diagnosed with it. How crazy and sad is that? What in the world would cause an entire family to have the same cancer? The mystery continues...

3 comments:

Kent and Kathy Moser said...

Nice post, where did you get that picture of Drnnis?

Nicky said...

I took some pictures of pictures displayed at his funeral. I'm a cheat, but when we have no other pictures, you gotta do what you gotta do!

tysonandmandimoser said...

Does Dennis look just like Grandpa Joe to you guys too??? It was a wonderful service. I am really bummed that I had to miss the cemetery part. Jaxon would have really loved that too.