The other night we had a knock at the door, and it was two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. They wanted to talk with Ira for a bit. Ira wasn't home from work yet, but it was about time for him to be heading home. So the Elders left for a while with promises to return later.
As we often do, Emilie asked if she could call her dad to see when he would be home. Their conversation went something like this:
(Emi) "Dad, there were two guys here with badges on looking for you. They will be back later."
(Ira) "Hu?" (then panic, thinking the badges meant the police - then wondering what in the world he had done wrong to have two of them looking for him). "Let me talk to mom".
(Me) "Hi"
(Ira) "Hi, Emilie says there were two guys in badges looking for me."
(Me) "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, giggle, giggle, ha, ha, ha.............. They were the missionaries."
(Ira) "I hoped that is who they were."
(Ira & I) "Ha, ha, chuckle, giggle....."
Doesn't this just go to show how important communication really is? So many of our families arguments (yes, we have our arguments too - good thing none of you are a fly on our wall to hear us!) would be solved if we would just stop and listen (really listen - not just hear) what the others are saying. Because more times than not, we are actually agreeing with each other - just using different words or emotions to express it. And when we aren't saying the same thing, or feel the same way...is that a bad thing? I think not.
Anyways, this wasn't meant to be a serious post - just a funny story. It just got me thinking - that can sometimes be a scary thing - so I'll stop thinking for now, and just keep laughing at the funny miscommunication. AND I'll try to remember my own deep thought for the day, and see if it works for me as I'm trying to "communicate" to my children that we will be late for church if they don't HURRY! (I guess that means ME too - I'm blogging, not hurrying). Second deep thought for the day...PRACTICE WHAT I PREACH! :0)
No comments:
Post a Comment