Monday, January 12, 2009

COMPLAINING or BRAGGING?

Oh the events that 12 hours can hold! Here is a brief rundown of my first 12 waking hours on Sunday. I showered, got peed on (I better clarify that these things happened from the younger two, not the older children!), cleaned up poop all over the floor (can't do that without getting a little on yourself ... ewww gross!), got puked on (at least it was baby puke). Then showered ...again.
Doesn't that all sound so fun? But before you think I am complaining, I'm really not. I am bragging. A friend in Relief Society made the comment that when she complains, her husband asks, "Are you complaining or bragging?" (thanks Julie for sharing). That comment has made such an impact on me. Everytime I complain, I think, "Oh, I'm just bragging.", and it makes all the difference in the world. Essentially when I do that, I am looking at the cup half full instead of half empty. I am so grateful that I have this sweet 3 year old in my family to ask me to help him clean up poop on the floor. I am so grateful I have my 6 month old to hold and play with until he pukes on me. I am so grateful I have a great pre-teen to tell me how unfair I am (he really is a fantastic kid). I am so grateful for my 8 year old daughter who forces me to be on my toes every second of every day. There was a day that I didn't know if I would ever have the blessing of someone calling me "mommy", and now I have four of them!
So yes...I am bragging! I am bragging that even though I don't get to see my husband a whole lot, we are still best friends, and he loves his family and God and he is a good man, and still has a job to go to everyday. I am bragging that I have a house (protection from the elements) that always needs to be cleaned, I am bragging that I have good enough health to be able to clean it. I am bragging that we have food to cook, even if I could find a million other things I'd prefer to do than to cook. I am bragging that even though my religion requires a lot of time and "sacrifices", I know that I belong to the only church on the face of the earth that has ALL the truth restored. So many wonderful religions just have parts of the full picture. Parts of a picture are wonderful, but the full picture is breathtaking!
I have so many things to brag about, and really nothing to complain about.
I am going to try my hardest to be more positive and put those things that I really want to complain about into perspective.
I, for one, have a lot to brag about, what about you?

7 comments:

Mark and Adrian said...

You are the best person I know. You always lift me up no matter what you say. I always tell Mark that you are my most religious friend and if I question anything I can always wonder what you would do and I have an answer. Thanks so much for everything. You are the best. I love you for so many reasons:) I am going to start bragging to. I like that whole concept.

Smullin Family said...

Great idea! I think I may start bragging too. :o)

Davis Family said...

You are CUTE!! I have heard this for 15 years and finally caught the drift about six months ago. I am a BLONDE!! It makes since though. Sorry about the PUKE and the PEE!! I remember those days. They don't last long. Now they just look at you like you are the MEANEST mom on the planet!! I guess I have those BRAGGING rights today......

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Keep on bragging. How about that pain in the butt sister you have that always bugs you and says whatever she's thinking...but you love her anyways???

I love the comment about the whole picture being 'breathtaking'. So true.

Maria said...

My dad used to always say that to us. 'Are you bragging or complaining?' Of course you don't like it when you are a kid and you really are complaining.
Isn't it interesting how quickly situations change when just our ATTITUDE changes! Definitely something I seem to have to be reminded about a lot!

Anderson Avenue said...

I loved that post! It really made me feel better about the puke and pee too. We have had a lot of it lately and it seems like I can't catch up. Between laundry-work-cleaning-and Kason burning his hand. I guess I have earned some "bragging rights" too!

tysonandmandimoser said...

I LOVE THAT!!!