Have you ever wondered what magic is found in a mommies kiss that makes everything better? Today (most days actually), Jarin hurt himself, and as he's crying, he points to where the owie is located. I give it a kiss, and through his tears, he says, "not there...here." I attempt the kiss again, this time it's a bulls eye! The tears then stop, and I ask him if it's all better, and he says, "mmm hmmm", then off he goes to play again. So what is it? is it the simple faith of a child? Is it the FACT :) that mommies know best? Is it that (through a childs eyes) we are able to fix everything? Is there truly some form of magic in mommies, that even the mommies aren't aware of? I'm not sure of the answer to this question, except to say that when I'm hurting really bad, or feeling sick, who is it that I want? My mommy! (How old am I anyways?) Somehow, she seems to make me feel better, and calm my anxieties, and make the owies a little less painful.
Kamden receiving mommy kissies and daddy huggies
Since I'm on the subject...what about daddy hugs? I can put on a brave face to anyone and everyone...except my dad. All he has to do is look at me, or put his arm around me, or simply ask how I'm doing, and instantly I become a melting pot of emotions. Why? What is it about daddy hugs that make us feel safe? Is it because we daughters know that we are his "little girls", and he will make everything better, or at least try? Is it because their sons know they are safe with their daddies, and don't have to prove anything to them (like they do to their peers all day long)? Is it because we feel safe in their great big arms? Is it because "my daddy's bigger, stronger, handsomer, richer", etc. than your daddy (isn't that what we all really think about our dads? - but I just KNOW it's true about my dad, and my childrens dad (except the richer part! :) hee hee) I remember when I was young, and had the flu. My dad sat next to me and ran his great big hands through my hair, and said, "I wish I could be the sick one, and take it away from my little girl." At that time, I wished he could have too! But just knowing that he cared so much made me feel better. Now that I'm all grown up, it hasn't changed the fact that I'm still my daddy's "little girl", and that has a special magic all its own!
My daddy hugs (on our Moab trip)
3 generations of mommy kissies for Jarin (2005)
Me, my Mom, my Grandma & Jarin

3 comments:
Ya, tell me about it. I cry like a baby every time mom leaves me to deal with a new baby all by myself. It's just easier to deal with anxiety, tiredness, pain and owies, fear, happiness, joy, excitement, and most everything else with mom! Good thing we did all of this before her mission!!! She's probably got her bags packed ready to go after this summer! kelli
Very sweet and oh so true!
You say it so PERFECT!! I still think those daddy's hugs are the best. Thanks for sharing your personally experiences with prayer Sunday in your lesson. You did a very good job and we are very grateful for all your time you put into your lessons. Hope you are enjoying some time with the baby with the kids back at school!!
Post a Comment