Monday, October 19, 2009

Goodbye...for now

I love getting to hear the voice and message of our latter-day prophet of God. The scriptures are full of testimonies of prophets in history, so it only makes sense that God would have a prophet on the earth today as well. He loves His children now every bit as much as He loved His children in the Old and New Testaments. I love the Book of Mormon, and how it goes hand in hand with the Bible. It is another one of those things that just makes sense to me of a loving Heavenly Father. I mean, if God was commanding people on one continent to keep a record (the Bible), then wouldn't he also command people on the other continent to keep a record (The Book of Mormon)? If God sent angels to people in the Bible, then why is it so unbelievable that He would send an angel to Joseph Smith to show him the record that had been kept on the American continent? If God the Father had shown himself to prophets in the Bible, then why is it so unfathomable that He would show himself again in latter-days?

I just said goodbye for 18 months to two of the most important people in my life. My parents left on their mission for the LDS Church to go to Christmas Island (part of the Marshall Islands in the South pacific) to share this same message and serve the people there. They will be on this small island with a population of 5000 people. There are land -line phones, but nothing to where we can call and talk, no cell phones. They can't call out even to the mission president whose island is 2000 miles away. They have dial-up internet...IF the power is working (which is very hit and miss). We can't send letters because they just get lost. We hoped that we would at least be able to send packages through a lady who works for the airline that goes over to that island, but that is now looking very doubtful. They will live in a home that is the size of my living room, with a small bed and a fridge (if the power is working - they have a fridge). I won't butter it up by saying that it is all great, and it's all for a good cause. Truth is...it isn't great. My heart is broken, and I will miss them terribly. However, it IS for a good cause. I KNOW that my parents wouldn't leave the comforts of their home, the farm, their friends, their family for any other reason than to serve God, and knowing that their family will be blessed for their service. And to share these truths with people on the isles of the sea. They are a great example to all of us, even from thousands of miles away. Right now, I'm not even sure how to make it through the day, let alone 18 L-O-N-G months! But I do know that Heavenly Father will hear our prayers, and even though my parents can't call us, they can make that "phone call" to heaven, where there is always an answer on the other end.


We love you mom and dad! God be with you till we meet again.


Kisses for mom and dad


Grandmas last comforts for Kamden

Walking my sisters family to their car as they depart

Grandpa & Grandma looking on after the goodbyes have been said.

A picture can say 1000 words.
My daddy after having said goodbye to some of the family.

6 comments:

Becky said...

I guess it's more like "see ya later"! That was a great entry, your parents are great people. We'll be finding out soon where my mom & dad are going, then I may get a small taste of what your feeling. So selfless to share them with those people in the Marshall Islands.

Mark and Adrian said...

I'm sitting here reading this bawling like a baby. Your parents are the best people I have ever met. I am so excited for them and their new adventure and my heart is aching for you right now even though I know you are a strong wonderful person. You will get through this and will be blessed beyond measure. Keep your head up and hang on. It's going to be an adventure for you too.

Calie said...

The Lord will take care of them. What a wonderful time in their lives.
I loved reading your testimony in this entry. You are a beautiful daughter of God bringing with you a force for good!

Maria said...

That was a hard day for everyone. I am half glad we weren't there! It was bad enough when Jordan left after the farewell & McKay & I left in June. But they weren't going to be GONE yet and they weren't saying goodbye to everyone at the same time.
They are going to have such a great experience! I am so excited for them. It is fun to go to their mission pres. blog and see pictures of the people they will be serving. It is going to be GREAT! Try to focus on the positive & what you have to do and time will pass.

Maria said...

That picture of Dad is priceless! I have to admit that I laughed pretty hard when I saw that. Like Maria said, I am sure glad I got mine over with before they had to say goodbye to everyone all at once. - Jordan

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Wow. That was depressing. Way to go Nick. Dad looks so sad in the last picture. But the funny thing is, I know that he's not! He's already on his way, with a smile on his face, and a firm handshake waiting for those lucky lucky Kiribatians (I made up that word...hahah).
Beautiful tesimony. Thanks.