My Grandma with my mom (the baby), and my Aunt Deone

My Grandma Wright passed away last February. At the time, I was sad to see her go, but she had been living in so much pain and sadness the last year of her life, that it was wonderful to know that she was going to a better place where she could once again feel peace and happiness.

I love how this card says, "may your holiday be filled with surprises." This was a great surprise!
Now...nine months later, and the holidays here, I have been missing my Grandma so much! A couple weeks ago, I drove by her house, and so badly wanted to pull in the driveway and walk in the house and have her offer me whatever goody she had there (usually gingersnap cookies!), and put my arms around her. As I approached the house, somebody else, a total stranger to me, walked out of the house that I had so many wonderful memories in. Who are they?...what are they doing in my Grandmas house? (did I mention that the house has been sold, so they had every right to be there?).
On Thanksgiving, one of the things I was asked to bring was a jello (does that say anything about my cooking abilities?!) In my family, when we say jello, we mean "Grandmas raspberry jello". So I go to find the recipe (yes, it has it's own recipe, not just the box recipe). I pull out the recipe card, and tears came to my eyes as I looked at a recipe card of my Grandmas "famous" jello, written in her own handwriting! It must have looked pretty silly to see me crying over a recipe card.
Well, today I was sorting through Christmas boxes, trying to condense. I was emptying out one of the boxes, and at the very bottom was a card. I almost just discarded it with the box, but at the last second, decided to see what the card was. To my surprise it was from my Grandma, written some earlier year (sob, sob). I know that maybe this will sound silly, but I just felt like Grandma was wishing me a Merry Christmas this year too. I carefully placed the card in our Christmas tree, where I will leave it as a reminder of the wonderful lady that I have the privilege of calling my Grandma, not that I need a reminder - I think of her about every day.

I love how this card says, "may your holiday be filled with surprises." This was a great surprise!
She would probably not love this picture, but it shows just how much we all love her. Jarin loved to go climb on her bed and just lay on her tummy. I know it probably hurt her, but she always let him, for as long as he wanted to.

7 comments:
What a moment!! She must have been a very special lady. Sorry for your sadness. Christmas is such an emotional season. I am sure she had a big smile on her face as she watched you open the card and read it. OH and those rolls look wonderful. Are you allowed to share the recipe??
I think it's not a special recipe, it's her TALENT at making them just right. mmmm.....mmmm!
She would love you found that card today I am sure!
Thanks for sharing.
What a sweet encounter. I believe there are angels among us..some of them we know well. :o)
My grandpa and my step-sister's baby (1yr) passed away right before Christmas, last year. This will be a hard Christmas to have those memories revived, especially for my grandma and my sister. I'm proud of my sister. She is going to take out her own endowments on the anniversary of "Hannah's Heaven Day". I hope this will bring peace to her. I think being in the temple would be the best place to be on that day. :o)
Jordan loves gingersnaps because of Grandma Wright
You just totally freaked me out. I think we must be sisters or something. Let me explain...
I can't seem to get grandma off of my mind lately. I've been working like crazy getting all of our old pictures scanned in. They are just thrown into a big box. Yesterday, I finally worked my way to the bottem of the box, where I also found an old card from Grandma. It was so sweet and I had to read it over several times, and then I put it away so I'll never lose it.
Are we on the same wavelength or what?
I love this.
Post a Comment