Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Season of Giving

In years past, some of my favorite things about Christmas have included the Christmas songs that hold some kind of magic. It is the only time of year we can listen to songs over the radio every single day that are about Christ. And music always brings back so many emotions of years past, and loved ones who have since passed on. I also love the smells and tastes of baked goods and treats. I love the sparkle in my childrens eyes as they anticipate Santa Clause, and as they wrap their special surprises for their family members. I especially love the anticipation of seeing family that I have missed so much through the year. Of course, I love the spirit of giving at Christmas time. But never have I been so humbled as this year as I have witnessed some of that giving. Ira has the privilege of being the Bishop of our ward, and so much of what he does holds so much confidentiality that I am unaware of most of the personal struggles that people face, and also most of the kind deeds that occur. However, this year I have witnessed as people have called our home offering their help and/or brought things ranging from toys, clothes, food, blankets, money etc. that maybe the Bishop would know somebody who may be in need of these things. Ira has gone on deliveries every night this week delivering these things and many other things that I'm probably not even aware of. He gets to hear the "thank you's" from the recipients, but the "thank you's" belong to all of you who step outside of yourselves, especially in a time when things are difficult for everyone, and you give. You give of your substance, your time, your talents, your selves. That is the true Spirit of Christmas, it is the Spirit of Christ. Thank you to all of you for helping me remember the true meaning of Christmas, to give an love as Jesus gave and loved.

Merry Christmas to you all

2 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

What a cool experience for the kiddoes too.

Calie said...

Hey Nicky I was so excited to see your comment on my blog. I love to keep in touch this way. (welcome to the new age right) This was a beautiful post. I look forward to getting to know you and your sweet family better. I feel a strong need to strengthen our family ties. It is sad sometimes when you grow up close and then lose touch after a while and peoples lives move on and change. And yet the bonds of family can always be strengthened again. Anyway Happy New Year to you and your family. I'm sure Ira adds a wonderful strength to your ward as Bishop. He has always had such a kind heart. And bless you and your little ones for sharing him with the ward.