Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas

I have absolutely loved our Christmas Holidays (except for the part where I had the stomach flu - uggghhh!) My big girl Emi became the mommy for the day. She completely took care of Kamden for me. She would bring him to me when he was hungry, and then she would take him away and take care of him. THANK YOU EMI!!

Back to the topic at hand... Christmas. Our kids will go back to school again in just a few short days, and I so wish they could just stay home with me for a few more weeks. We have had such a good time together, and with all our extended family get-togethers. We have had Ira home with us for two long weekends in a row - that has been priceless! We had all the pressing things done before Christmas arrived, and so we have been able to just kick back and enjoy being together. Our most exciting Christmas gift was that Santa brought us tickets to Disneyland for February. We are so excited to go the the most magical place on earth!


This last couple of weeks I have so enjoyed the journey of life. I am so grateful for these little ones who call me "mom", and for their dad who calls me "honey". I have loved getting Christmas cards from family and friends, and knowing that they have thought of our family as we have thought of them. I have loved the laughter we have shared with parents, brothers, sisters, and cousins during our get-togethers. I have especially loved being reminded of my Saviors birth. It is a special thing to have a baby in our home during the Christmas time. It is hard not to hold him, and look in his little face, and not think of the first Christmas over 2000 years ago.

I love Christmas, and the reminder that it is to me of all the things that really matter most in my life - My Savior and my family and friends.





Of course Santa is a pretty important part of Christmas too...or is he?

I think maybe the spirit of giving that Santa represents is pretty important.


My little Santa...

or elf!

Santa and his little elves


Two little monkeys sitting on the couch...



Of course it wouldn't be the holidays without recitals and performances!

Brayden was in an Orchestra program, playing the Cello.


Emilie's dance class danced in their P.J.'s at the nursing home.


Brayden and Emilie had their piano recital. This was Emi's first year, she was SO excited, and and has played her piece over and over ever since. Brayden received a great compliment when one of the younger boys was asked their favorite part of the recital, and he said, "Brayden".

Christmas Eve, while we waited for Ira to get off work, we built a gingerbread house.




Ira's brother Jason, and his wife Beckie sent us matching P.J.'s to be opened on Christmas Eve. This was a great hit!!! We wore them all day, and hopefully it is their new tradition for us, because (like their children), we are anxiously awaiting to see next years P.J.'s! Thank you Beckie for all your work in making them and letting us be part of your tradition.

Wrestle time with dad before going to bed (nothing like getting them hyper on Christmas Eve, right at bed time). Way to go Ira!!! However, all it took was for the kids to hear Santa Clause ringing his bells and saying, "Ho, Ho, Ho" right by their bedroom window to quiet them all down. Worked like magic!

So this year I decided it would be a "special" thing to re-enact the nativity, especially since we had our "Baby Jesus" without having to use a doll! I put the word "special" in parenthases for a reason. Special it was! I will never forget how Jarin was screaming the whole time (melt down moment), and how we were all threatening him to come be the shepherd/wiseman "or else"!

Good times, right?!
(don't know what Jarin is wearing - I think it is a wise-man crown...maybe)


I will set up our nativity just the way I want it, so they are all laid out where all the figures can be seen in just the right place. Then I go in another room for just a minute, and come back, and this is how they have mysteriously been rearranged - over and over again. I think my little mystery child has the right idea...Christ is the center of everything. He is the center of Christmas, and He is the center of my life.


4 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Love the nativity scene rearrangement. That's how it should always be.

Love the reinactment of the nativity. But Jarin does look more like someone from StarWars, with the head thing.

Love the Brayden plays the cello. I never knew!

And I love the post.

Amber Bradley said...

How fun! It looks like you had a wonderful time! I absolutly love the last picture. It is funny that a child can see it better than us, and makes you wonder what is going through their head when they do something like that. I wish I knew, their little minds sure work a whole lot better than mine. I am glad you have been able to have a fun relaxing break together.

tysonandmandimoser said...

I wish it would last a few more weeks too. I want to hear Brayden play the cello.

Sarah said...

I love the nativity scene arrangement. Your kids are darling, and Kamden is just growning way too fast. I love reading your blog. It seems you really treasure every moment of motherhood. You are a great example. I LOVED your lesson last week also. I could read that talk every day. It is a great reminder. Thanks for sharing it with us.