Monday, October 6, 2008

I Belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

As promised on my last post...(you know, the part where I was going to laugh more, instead of stress out?) Anyways...I tried to enjoy the moment of Emi sliding down the hand rail at the church after she was baptised. I enjoyed it long enough to get a picture, then I made her stop. Changes usually happen in baby steps, right? This was my baby step to relaxing a little more!Emi got to share her baptism day with her new baby cousin (Desmond) blessing. That made it extra special. This picture is baby Desmond with his siblings, and Emilies two brothers.I sing this song to my kids from the time they are born, and I'm singing them their goodnight song. It is the song that comes to my mind when I see this pictures (below) of my beautiful children.


I wish I could remember
the days before my birth,
With all my friends and family
before we came to earth.
Was I a child there?...
Did I walk with God?


Where is Heaven?
Is it very far?
I would like to know if it's
beyond the brightest star.
I've a feeling
that it's not so far.
When your with the ones you love
it's right where you are!

When your with the ones you love...it's right where you are!


September 27 was one of the most special days Emilie will have in her life. At the tender age of eight, she was baptised a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and then received the special gift of having the Holy Ghost with her to help her. As a mom, it is such a comfort to me to know that even though I can't be by her side every second of every day to help her make right decisions and comfort her in times of need, the Holy Ghost will be. I know that she won't remember very much of this day, so I want to write my thoughts about it for her. It was a very beautiful, warm day. She was so excited, she could hardly wait until 11:00, so she could go to the church and get dressed up. Before we left, we had a special family home evening, where we talked about what the Holy Ghost will feel like to her. I gave her a special "comforter" blanket that I had made for her. We talked to her about how the comforter makes her feel warm, and safe, and how another name for the Holy Ghost is also "The Comforter", for the same reasons. I think she loved her blanket, she has wrapped it around her and slept with it ever since.

She had lots of her family, and some friends, and primary teachers who all came to support her on her special day. When she walked into the baptisimal font dressed all in white, her dad was standing there all in white with his hand stretched out to help her. I hope that she will know that both her parents will always be there with our arms stretched out to help her through life. Ira then, using the power of the priesthood, baptised Emilie and then confirmed her, and gave her a special blessing. Emilie was all smiles. I hope as Emi grows up, and she looks back on this day, that if she ever questions her decision to be baptised, that she will remember the scripture in the Book of Mormon that is found in Moroni 10: 4-5. "And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things." Emilie doesn't have to just take our word for it, but she can find out for herself if the Book of Mormon is true, and if she did the right thing by being baptised. If she really wants to know, she can pray and ask. Heavenly Father will always answer her prayers.


We love you Emi!



Emilie with some of the people who love her most - her parents and Grandparents.
The special comforter I made for Emilie.

7 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

So sweet. I sing that song to my kids at bedtime too, but I've never known where it came from. I don't think it's in the primary song book, any ideas??? I remember singing it in a children's choir in Whitney, but that's all I know about it. kelli

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

I always sing...was I a child there? Did I walk with God? And is that where I learned about the iron rod?" Did I add that last line, or did you forget it??? just curious.

Maria said...

What a sweet post! I love the picture of your children all dressed in white. Makes them look like angels!
Great job on her comforter! It looks really nice!

Drapers said...

I love the quilt. She is geting to be so grown up. I love the pictures of your kids in their white clothes. I need to do something like that for mine. Steph :^)

Drapers said...

Sorry I ended my post before I was finished. Emilie will remenber certian things about her baptism, like who was there and how much she is loved, I know that I do. It will always be a special day in her book. Steph

Beth said...

I love to read your posts. They always make think and I get a little teary eyed. It was a special day and I love the picture of her sliding down the rail!! What a girl!

Sarah said...

What a special day. The quilt turned out beautiful! The picture of Emi sliding down the rail at the church is priceless. You really captured her personality in that photo! What a beautiful girl.