Tuesday, October 14, 2008

FOOD...GLORIOUS FOOD...

SO YUMMY AND SCRUMPTIOUS! I wasn't planning on doing any canning this year...with a new baby and all...I have a great excuse. However, I got the bug...and I couldn't stand to let my shelves stay empty, and I couldn't bear to go BUY the already-packaged stuff at the store when so much of it was growing in my garden, or my moms garden - (besides, it just doesn't taste the same!). I decided I would only bottle pears, and one thing led to another...and another...and another...and wahlah!, no more empty jars crammed in boxes in my garage - much to Iras satisfaction (he hates finding a home for all those jars when they are empty).

pears and peaches
applesauce
Salsa and stewed tomatoes
carrots
In addition to these, my mom stayed busy with helping us with some canning this year. She bottled us some green beans and apple juice. THANKS MOM!
A few quotes I found regarding food storage:
President Spencer W. Kimball:
Let Us Prepare
Though we never know when we will face a challenge that will require us to depend on the resources we have stored, we know that the Lord has said, “If ye are prepared ye shall not fear” (D&C 38:30).

Ezra Taft Benson (1899–1994) Thirteenth President of the Church
“The revelation to store food may be as essential to our temporal salvation today as boarding the ark was to the people in the days of Noah” (“Prepare Ye,” Ensign, Jan. 1974, 69).
President Spencer W. Kimball gave us this counsel regarding home storage: “We encourage families to have on hand this year’s supply; and we say it over and over and over and repeat over and over the scripture of the Lord where He says, ‘Why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?’ [Luke 6:46]” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1976, 171).

5 comments:

Amber Bradley said...

Can I Just say JEALOUS!!! I really wanted to do canning this year but didn't get the chance and man am I sad when I see all of that. It all looks yummy!

Smullin Family said...

Good job!
I've been getting the bug, but don't feel adequate in my skills or knowing where to buy/get fresh produce for a good price. Honestly, I've never canned by myself and wouldn't know where to start. The most I've done is freezer jam...that's yummy!

Maria said...

Wow, that looks awesome! Good for you! I agree, the empty bottles can be a pain. We did 3 batches of pears this year - McKay LOVES pears.

Drapers said...

I am so jealous, I am about out of salsa and a few other things. I really miss having a garden. We tried to grow tomatoes in a planter but they got giant green worm like things that got to them before they even turned red. I was so sad because there is nothing like a home grown tomato. Steph

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Carrots??? I never would have thought of canning them. Maybe I ought to. I still have some empty bottles, and they definitely need filling.