Friday, March 9, 2012

Are we almost there?



Kamden is always very concerned with time. He always wants to know what time it is. He wants to know if it is almost dark or half way dark. He wants to know if we are almost there, or half way there. One day I was holding him on my lap, and we were just chatting when he asked me, "Mommy, are we there yet?" I was a bit baffled because I didn't know we were going anywhere. So I asked him "Are we almost where?" His reply surprised me when he said, "Are we almost to heaven?" I have to admit that I didn't like the question because I have always felt that our children are so close to heaven that they have more spiritual insight than we adults have. They just left there such a short time ago. So I have wondered why he would ask such a question. He has since asked me this same question about once a day. And every time he asks, I get a bit of a nervous feeling.

As I thought about how to answer my little boy, with his trusting eyes looking into mine - I said something to the effect of "Not yet - but someday we will be there if we make good choices". So then he asked if we are half way there yet :).

Since that first time that he asked me this question, I have pondered his question and how to answer him. I hope that my physical self, and especially my childrens physical selves are a long way from being in heaven. But I want to think that my spiritual self is almost there...or at least half way there. And have I taught my children enough that they are "almost there" or "half way there"? I'm not sure about the answers to any of the questions that Kamden has asked or to the questions that I have pondered since then. But I do know that Heavenly Father knows the answers, and that He has asked us to have faith in Him.
So whether we are almost there or half way there, I don't know - But I do know that I feel a little more determined to make sure that Heaven is our final destination on this journey we call life, and that we don't just make it "half way there".

1 comment:

Smullin Family said...

Your thoughts and comments touched me.
I too get a little anxious about this question..I want myself and family to physically be on earth for a long while from now..but hope I'm spiritually progressing to be "almost there".
Sweet boy. :)