Thursday, February 9, 2012

I spoke too soon

In my last post, I commented how I was in very few of those "adventurous" pictures with the youth - and that it looked like a lot of fun that Ira had with them. Well, as it turns out...the ride is just beginning for me. While we were at Disneyland, we got a text that the new bishop needed to meet with us. We knew we'd get our calling - but hoped we'd have a couple of weeks off. The day we got back, I got called to be the Young Womens President. Let me set up the scene so you can find the humor in this.

We were meeting with the new bishopbric. Ira was no longer the bishop, so we were all making jokes and laughing about him sitting on the other side of the table. Then our bishop looks at me and says, "We are calling you to be the Young Womens President". Well, me thinking that we were all still joking, starting REALLY laughing. I knew he couldn't be serious about that one, cuz that is one of those callings which I have always feared. Especially since I haven't really spent much time in Young Womens since I was there myself (and I won't say how many years ago that was). After I laughed myself silly, (and Ira laughed with me) - I looked the bishop in the eye and he wasn't laughing. I said, "You have to be kidding me, so what is it really?" He said, "I'm not kidding". I'm sure he was as taken back by my reaction as I was by him calling me to this.

I don't feel very adequate to be a leader, especially of such remarkable young people. I'm not any good at delegating or making the final decision. I'd rather be told what I need to do and get it done, then to ask others to help me do things. I stress out too easily, and don't know how to relax and have fun as much as I should. I worry too much about the little stuff. The list of my inadequacies could go on and on. However, I have a saying that I've had on my fridge for several months now. When I realized that Bishop wasn't kidding, this quote came instantly to my mind (wish I knew who said it)...

"The Lord doesn't ask about our inabilities or abilities. He only asks about our availabilities. If we show our dependability's he will help us in our capabilities".

So I am available and willing and try to be dependable. So now I'm praying for the capability.

So let the ride begin! :)

3 comments:

Drapers said...

You will be great!!! I was only in the Young Women for a little under a year, but it was by far one of the best callings in the church. There are so many helps out there in internet land, I was wondering if you hadn't been called to the young women with some of your pins on pinterest. Something I noticed was to be there friend but also be their leader. I had some girls that I got to know really well and would try to goof off and all I had to do was look at them and they knew they had gone too far and then we could go on. I know you will be a wonderful leader!! By the way I am also one that would rather be told what to do then make the decisions. I would love to be back in YW rather than teaching Gospel Doctrine to the adults.

Drapers said...

sorry "their" friend

Smullin Family said...

Ooo, I so relate to feeling inadeaquate..and wanting someone to tell me what to do and make the final decision.
I was in YW just before getting called as primary president. I wasn't ready to go..only had been there a few months...BUT I don't think I was ready to be YW president..so maybe primary is where I should be. I miss YW's.
You are awesome..and you will be great!