Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ode to Bear Lake

Bear Lake...
I will miss you my dear friend.
You have been good to us.
You have provided countless hours of laughter, and family togetherness.
You have been the cause of me yelling at my kids "Your-out-too-far. Come-back!!!!"
You have shared your frigid waters to cool our hot selves.
You have blown your fierce wind storms, full of sand, on us.
We have had near hypothermia after getting wet in your waters, then trying to dry off on your windy, sand-filled beaches.
You have shared your beaches full of sand for building castles.
You have let us take your sand home with us, in our food, our shoes, our cars and our shorts!
Thank you Bear Lake for our wonderful love/hate relationship.
I will return again next year, do it all over again...and call it FUN!

Our last trip to Bear Lake for the season was for our annual family LaborDay get-together. Another one of those impromptu traditions. We gather ourselves at Bear Lake, and eat and swim. When there's no food left...we go home!

It was freezing with a never-moving cloud that blocked the sun, and the wind was blowing. We had a canopy that we hung blankets up to block the wind. We crammed in there like sardines to keep warm. Then...we ATE (and ate and ate). And we called it FUN!
These two (my parents) won't be with us next year (sob, sob). It's getting hard to have our "last time" events with our parents for 18 months (I know, it's not forever, but 18 months is a L-O-N-G time, it seems). I had my last 4-wheeling ride with them a couple weeks ago too. That one will be a hard one for me, to go to the mountains that they love, and go 4-wheeling that they love, and not have them there too. I'll definently think of them everytime I go!

And since I am always the one behind the camera, and there is seldom proof that I was actually part of the event, I took this self-portrait of me with my mom.
I loved how Jarin & Kam were playing together in the sand. So sweet!

Family get-togethers = Football!



Jarin and Parker - two peas in a pod (almost scary how much they are alike). Poor Mandi (Parkers mom), I do feel your pain raising that child - but aren't they a hoot?!! ;0)

Nathan, Skyler, Taylor, Tiana


Our very own Mermaids - Rylee, Myah & Emilie


5 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Des is still pooping sand. Yummy.
And the car is still filled with sand. I think maybe I'll leave it there for the winter to remind me of the fun we had!
Jarin and Parker crack me up. I can only imagine what they'll be like as teenagers. You moms enjoy that, ok?

Maria said...

Oddly, I still wish I could have been there. - Jordan

Kent and Kathy Moser said...

We've been to bear lake 4 times in the last 2 weeks! Twice with you and drove over to see Tysons game and then went 4 wheeling with our neighbors to the REAL hamburger stand.Delicious!!!
Of course I forgot my camera so can't blog any of it.

Drapers said...

Isn't that the fun of Bear Lake. We never did make it there this last visit, we did pass it on the way to get Raspberry Shakes though.

Mark and Adrian said...

You are such a poet. I'm going to put that on my list of things I admire about you. :) You look great in that one picture. You are so skinny. Fun fun fun