Thursday, September 3, 2009

Jackson Hole


I know it seems like we have vacationed a lot this summer, but we really haven't. We have played a lot with our one dayers, but we haven't really gotten away...until now. (I know, your crying tears of pity for me, right? Not that I'm complaining, I'll take the one dayers - they are fun too). BUT, it was SO great to have THREE days of no phones, computers, work, school, house cleaning, yard work, meetings etc. etc.

We went to Jackson Hole where we "camped", if you call camping in a trailer camping. It is more like camping in style. For several years we have been looking for an affordable, used trailer - but just hadn't found our "home away from home". After our last camping experience where I had a throwing up, fevered girl, screaming baby, we were freezing and wet, and Ira wasn't with me - well...let's just say that a trailer was no longer an extra, but an absolute necessity! :) So, to quote The Grinch "One mans garbage is another mans POTPOURRI!"
It started to rain, and we just went inside and had icecream that stayed frozen in our little freezer (no coolers)- why didn't anyone tell me before, that "camping" could be so enjoyable???
Funny story (at least to us). We were at a campground in Jackson Hole, and we didn't want to deal with the whole sewer thing in the trailer, so we were all taking the walk to the bathrooms. In the morning, Emi must have decided that the walk was just too far, cuz she just couldn't hold it. So she steps out the door, and goes right there. Ira and I looked out the window and were a little surprised that she didn't at least try to hide. Just then, he sees a lady walking by, laughing at our daughter, and Ira ducks, saying, "I know that lady." OF COURSE he does!!! Everywhere we go, Ira knows somebody.

We camped at "Signal Mountain", or as Jarin prounounces it, "SICK-O Mountain".

We can't go to Jackson without visiting Bar J Wranglers. Then all the way home, we have to listen to their CD, and then watch their DVD when we get home. I really like Bar J, but I'm a little Bar J'd out right now! I met a great man at Bar J. I don't know his name, and will never see him again. But he left an impression on me that I hope to never forget. He was an older gentleman who took the time to talk to me and my kids for just a second. He said, "Are all these kids yours?" (I'm thinking, "Is four kids really that many?) He said, "That's great". I responded, (thinking I was being a little funny), "It's great, or maybe we're just crazy." He smiled, and said, "No, your not crazy. It is the most honorable, and the most generous thing you could ever do." That one statement left a big impact on me. Most of the time I just think I'm going crazy with being a mom, or already have reached the said destination. Being a mother is usually a thankless job. (don't get me wrong, I love my job, but you have to admit - there's not much in the way of recognition that goes with the title). However, on this day, this man in his own quiet way, gave me a great big thank you, and it felt so nice!

We rented a boat at Jackson Lake for an hour, and we fished and swam from the boat. It was way fun, and so beautiful to get to see the Grand Tetons from the lake.






There ARE advantages to being the picture taker all the time. I have excuses when I don't want to do something, like jumping into lakes!

We hiked a little, ate a lot, and had a great time together. As usual, we try to fit as much into each day as we can, and we came home exhausted. One of these days, we will go on a vacation, and actually RELAX!!






4 comments:

Maria said...

What a fun trip! The trailers DOES look nice. :) Especially since I am going to be sleeping in a tent for the next 3 nights with a toddler who moves around A LOT! Looks like you made some great memories!

Ann said...

"Sick-O" Mountain looks so nice! We love Jackson Hole too!

Calie said...

Those pictures look fantastic. It looks like you all had a great time. What a good vacation.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

That looks fu-un! and just think of all the money you saved on a dumb hotel! That's why we only go to Jackson for one nighters. And in 3 nights, you paid for like half of your trailer! hahah.