I set myself a goal a couple months ago to run a 5K race in our area. This last Saturday was the big day. I woke up still tired from an extra long week, and hearing the rain pour down. Well, I can't let a little rain or exhaustion stop me from my goal. So off I went to register for my race. Saying that I felt a little "out of place" was an understatement. I don't consider myself a "runner" by any stretch of the imagination. These people there looked like "real" runners, and they were out for their morning stroll! Three months ago, I went to the track to see what I could do with running. I ran one lap, and walked one lap (trying to recover from the running lap). I did that until I ran a full mile, and walked a mile. I was really pretty proud of myself, considering that less than a year earlier, I couldn't have even walked that far. Ever so slowly I have worked my way up in distance with running, but still not anything extraordinary. I currently run 4 miles (if I'm running a slight downhill the whole way), or I can run about 3.5 if I have some ups and downs. AND, my running is more like walking speed with a lot of bounce (I'm not too speedy). So back to the 5K race (3.2 miles). I figured this would be good for me to run with other people, maybe challenge me to run a little harder and faster. WRONGO!!! It was just plain torture. As soon as they said "GO", everyone (except yours truly and a maybe 3-4 others who I think were walking) was down the block and around the corner in the amount of time that I had taken maybe 3 steps (not much exaggeration there either). I tried to keep up to their pace, knowing that my family may have to give me an early burial, OR I could swallow my pride and slowly bounce my way through the race. I opted for the latter, since it is less expensive and more convenient than a funeral. The first half of the race, keeping at my own bouncing pace, was not too bad. Sure I was only a quarter of the way through when the first guy passed me going back the other way towards the finish line - but I was still all livin', and still runnin' - so no complaints! The torture came when I got to the half way mark and had to make my way back. Remember how I said it was raining? Well, the wind was blowing too. It wasn't a terrible wind, but when I was tired and running, it felt like a hurricane. So I had a hurricane in my face, and was running UP hill on the second half of the run. OUCH!!! When I finally got to the finish line, I decided then and there I would never do one of those again. Today...I still don't ever WANT to do one again, but I think I SHOULD do another one, just so I can either prove to myself that they really are THAT bad, or I can be proved wrong - that it was just a bad morning for me.
Yesterday a friend asked me if it was fun. I had to be honest and say "NO". I can't, for the life of me figure out why some of you call this "FUN". I guess I'll have to keep signing up for these things until I have the answer to that. So stay tuned, I'll report on this subject again later...much, much later! But you know, when all is said and done, I do feel a sense of accomplishment...and THAT is FUN!
11 comments:
WOW! What a FUN memory! I totally have an image in my mind of how that must have been.
Just think, can you believe you did it? Think how that would have gone had you done that 6 months ago? Now think how that CAN go in 6 months from now if you keep up the hard work and determination.
You have come a long way in 6 months, and I take my hat off to you! - Jordan
Good job lady! It'll be awesome to see how much easier it gets each time. Before we know it, you'll be running a full marathon. (NO DESIRE FOR ME!)
No desire for me either!
YAY good for you!!!
Wow from me too!! I can't believe you could do that. That is a full marathon for you at this time. Keep it up and next time it will be easier.
Good for you Nicky!! I remember the shape you were in a year ago....after having Kamden. You should be way proud of yourself, I am. You have come a long way girl!! You inspire me!
Man, I was supposed to be there... to bad that I haven't been running like you have :( I am so glad you did it and I am so happy for you! You inspire me! I need start up again!
You rock and it was great to see you there! You looked like a professional runner to me. Just to vouch for you, it was a hard race, that wind and uphill in the end were no good. You are doing so GREAT! Keep it up:) I love seeing you out there with the rest of those nutty people:)
Congrats!! I tried running in Jr.High and I have never had the desire to do it again.
Way to go Nicky! I'm proud of you!
I have a friend who's running in a 5K in September, so she enlisted me to "train" with her. "Uhhhh... I'm NOT a runner" was my first reaction, but somehow she convinced me to try. I'm making progress...very slow progress.
I couldn't believe how hard it was to run, for a full minute, that very first day. I can run more than that now, but I'm still walking a lot more than running.
It WILL be nice if some day this can be called FUN.
You crack me up!!! Great post and a lot of truth to it. Way to GO!!!
Post a Comment